We, Sweet Release, promise to never post more than a few paragraphs about the recipes we will share. This recipe is dairy free, egg free, nut free and vegan. Enjoy!
This recipe was one of the first things we veganized and shared with the permission of Esme Dawson from NZs hottest baker who created the original recipe.
Makes 16 cupcakes (depending on your tin size) or 8” wide, 2” high cake.
- 1 cup caster sugar
- 1 3/4 cups flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 57gms olivani
- 90gms aquafaba (Chickpea Brine), room temperature
- 75gms coconut cream
- 1/4 cup canola oil or vegetable oil
- 1 Tbsp vanilla syrup
- 2/3 cup rice milk
- Preheat oven to 160°C
- Sift sugar, flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt into a mixing bowl, use the whisk attachment (electric beaters is fine). Add olivani and mix together for 2-3 minutes until the butter is evenly distributed - will be sand-like in appearance.
- In a separate bowl whisk together aquafaba, coconut cream, oil, vanilla. Add this to the dry ingredients and beat for 1-2 minutes. You should not see traces of butter, but will have a reasonably thick mixture. It will lighten in colour as you beat it. Don't beat for more than 2 minutes.
- Lastly add the milk slowly and mix until incorporated.
- Spoon into your paper cases, filling just over half full. Bake for 20 mins. Test with a skewer. If they are not done then put them back in for 2 minutes and test again. It does depend on the size of your cupcakes.